Samstag, 11. Oktober 2008

Belvedere Palace - Upper Belvedere

Belvedere Palace

On May 15, 1955, on the balcony of the Belvedere Palace, the Austrian Foreign Minister Leopold Figl held up the just signed State Treaty and said: "Austria is free".

The undersigned were the State Secretaries Wjatscheslaw Molotow (UdSSR), John Foster Dulles (USA), Harold Macmillan (GB) and Antoine Pinay (France) for the allied states and Leopold Figl for Austria as well as the four high commissioners of the allied states.

I was there with my parents - with thousands of other people who all wanted to experience Austria's new freedom. It was the start into good times!

The Belvedere Palace was built by Lukas von Hildebrandt (finished 1723) to be the residence of the Prince Eugene of Savoy. Nowadadys there are wonderful museums in there.

3 Kommentare:

Anonym hat gesagt…

This is so pretty, reflected in the water. Carol Jean

Bumpkin Hill hat gesagt…

Hi Vera, glad I found you here. I remember visiting this palace many years back. Pop along to my blog for a special launch party for my Bumpkin Bears Art Prints and giveaway :) Beary Hugs, Catherine x

Merisi hat gesagt…

Good evening, Vera!
I came upon your blog because I was searching for information about the Belvedere Gardens. How exciting to discover a blog written by someone who actually was there on that great day of the Staatsvertrag!
I am still fairly new to Vienna, but enjoy the city and her wonderful citizens tremendously. Thank you for contributing to making this such a wonderful place to experience!